Sunday, November 13, 2011

Transition

So this is a dance that I did for my art class in China a couple of years ago. This dance is to show the struggle that I was having transitioning from a life of gymnastics to a life of school. The dance shows the frustration of spending all of that time and money on doing gymnastics and developing all of these skills only to realize that now I can't do those skills anymore and they haven't helped in life. At the beginning of the dance the movements are controlled, especially while holding the handstand. But as the dance goes on the movements get more frustrated showing the frustration of not being able to perform those same tricks anymore.

The dance was performed in our school's locker room to show the different lifestyle that I had to accommodate to. Also there are several words in the song that inspired me to do this dance. Some of the words in the chorus are "determination", "no substitution", "retaliation". These are words that go along with the feelings in gymnastics. While being a gymnast you become determined to do all of your routines at your best in order to get a good score. Or you are determined to work hard in conditioning in order to become stronger. While being a gymnast there is no substitution. While you are standing on that beam about to do your tumbling pass, it is only you. Only you can do YOUR beam routine. You can't ask somebody else to do it for you. While you are a gymnast there are many times when you want to retaliate and just give up. There are times when you just want to step off the beam and say, "No, I can't do this". But its that determination and that self-realization that only you can perform this routine. Which can go along with the frustration of going through all of these emotions and realizing that it didn't help me keep these skills after such a long time.

I guess we can put this into a real-life situation though. We may be discouraged when we realize that we didn't get the desired outcomes from something. But we may have learned something from these experiences that will help us in a different way than we expected. For gymnastics I may have not kept those skills that I wanted to, but what I learned from gymnastics was to be a hard worker, and to not give up until it is finished. The words in the song can be applied in our life as well. We need to be determined in order to get things done. We are determined to keep a job that pays well. We are determined to give our children the best life possible. In real-life there aren't substitutions. We can't ask for a substitute when we are going through trials because then we wouldn't learn from them. We have to live through our OWN life. During our life we may and probably have retaliated against someone. We may have retaliated against our parents, or against God. There probably have been many times when we have wanted to just walk out of any trials that we are going through and say, "I'm done". But because of determination and that self-realization that we have to push through these things ourselves in order to grow from them helps us to not retaliate....or at least not retaliate as much. So hopefully you take this to heart because I have been trying :)) And I hope that you enjoy the video :)

2 comments:

  1. Love watching you dance. It reminds me of when you were a little girl making amazing moves to the music. We wondered how you knew to do that and then realized that it was just naturally coming out of you. You seemed to be born with a dancing spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Oma :)) Yeah I guess, I remember going to those art galleries outside in Arizona and start dancing to the music :) I miss being able to dance wherever and whenever I want to. :)

    ReplyDelete